Talofa Lava, Malo e Lelei, Kia Orana, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Bula Vi Naka, Taloha Ni.
A warm Pacific welcome to the Blind Foundation.
The Blind Foundation has a small trained team who aim to meet the needs of Pacific Island people who are blind or have low vision. The team works alongside Pacific Island children and adults, and their families, to help them understand their sight loss, access services and provide cultural support.
More importantly, we can talk with you in your own language or find someone to help that speaks your language. The Blind Foundation has Pacific Island staff members in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington.
You can feel confident and be comfortable with how the team supports you to meet your vision and cultural needs.
To get in touch, please call 0800 24 33 33 or email email@example.com.
What we offer
You, a family member or a friend may benefit from a range of assistance at the Blind Foundation. We can help in so many ways – check out the details below.
- provide information on sight loss and Blind Foundation services.
- assist Pacific Island clients to access Blind Foundation and external services.
- provide cultural support and advice to help meet your vision and cultural needs.
- encourage and promote self-reliance and participation in the community.
- raise awareness of the Blind Foundation services.
- provide blindness awareness and prevention programmes to families and the Pacific Island Community.
- support the Pacific Island Peer Support Groups.
- offer accessible versions of the Bible in Samoan and Fiji, and Bible stories in Tongan through the Blind Foundation Library.
Meeting other Pacific Island people
There are Blind Foundation Pacific Island Peer Support groups in the Auckland region. They are open to all Pacific members who want to join. The groups offer you a chance to meet new people, share stories and information and discuss issues relating to blindness. Together, attendees support each other, enjoy the activities and have fun.
To find out more about the Pacific Island Peer Support groups, contact Fatima Akehurst either via telephone on 09 2816516, extension 8516; or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blindness Prevention Services
The Blind Foundation works with the Pacific Island Community to provide free blindness awareness and prevention programmes. The aim is to reduce avoidable and unnecessary blindness. Through our awareness work, we encourage referrals of people with significant vision loss to the Blind Foundation so they can get the support they need.
Call 0800 24 33 33 or email email@example.com to get in touch.