Blind Foundation National Tramp 2017
The 2017 Tramp is a Great Walk into the Abel Tasman National Park, following the beautiful coastline of Tasman Bay. This tramp will involve 4 days walking and finishing with the famous Awaroa estuary walk to meet the water taxi at Totoranui. We will then enjoy a stunning boat trip back to Marahau, experiencing the sea and wildlife in this area.
How do I know if I am suitable for participating in this Tramp?
- Can you walk up to 5-6 hours in a day (undulating terrain)?
- Are you able to carry a pack (10-12kg) with your own personal gear i.e. sleeping bag, clothing, toiletries, and also some communal gear (carry day food only).
- Do you enjoy the outdoors and a social group, staying in DOC hut accommodation?
- Have you been on a previous tramp or event with the Blind Foundation or equivalent?
- Keen to challenge yourself and encourage others?
How many will be on the Tramp?
Places are available for up to 12 members, 6-8 sighted guides (staff and volunteers).
What is the cost?
The cost of this national tramp, including water taxi, is $150 per person.
What are the Transport arrangements?
Travel to Nelson Wednesday 3rd May. There is shared transport only available from Christchurch. All participants to spend night in Nelson on Wednesday night ready for early departure the next morning. Van/bus transport will be available for all participants from Nelson to the start of the track on Thursday 4th May and returning to Nelson Sunday 7th May 2107.
What does the cost include?
- Transport from Nelson return to the start and finish of the track, including water taxi fees.
- Accommodation in Nelson night of Wednesday May 3rd.
- Meals while tramping i.e. lunch /dinner /breakfast
- 3 nights’ accommodation in DoC huts on the track.
- Sighted guide support.
What is excluded in the cost?
- Dinner in Nelson Wednesday May 3rd.
- Accommodation and meals in Nelson on Sunday 7th May (we will make arrangements for people needing this)
- Travel costs to Nelson.
- Snacks of your choice for tramping.
Is there a selection process?
Yes. A selection process will be undertaken based on the eligibility criteria outlined above. An application pack will need to be completed.
Applications close on Wednesday 29th March 2017.
This is a tight turn round due to hut bookings and travel arrangements.
When do I need to pay for the Tramp?
Payment will be required upon acceptance of position and no later than 20 April 2017.
So what do I do now?
To discuss or further information and if you would like an application pack, please contact your local Community Life Enrichment team member or Erin Eyles, Community and Recreation Advisor, 03 375 4318, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Abel Tasman National Park