31 May 2018
Entries must be received by 22 June.
Are you keen to test your Braille writing abilities? Enter the international Onkyo Braille Essay Contest and inspire people with your story.
Be in to win cash prizes across two age groups – 14 to 25 year olds, as well as 26 and above.
Onkyo Company Limited and The Braille Mainichi Newspapers of Japan sponsor the competition coordinated by the World Blind Union Asia Pacific. New Zealand is a member and Blind Citizens NZ and the Blind Foundation work together to coordinate the essay completion and act as New Zealand’s National Onkyo Selection Committee.
Last year William Wu did New Zealand proud and won the Excellence Works prize in the 14 to 25 aged category – will you be this year’s winner?
- Having overcome the challenges of blindness, how I can, or have contributed to society.
- The significance of Braille in the IT era.
- How music has shaped my life and changed the attitude of society towards blindness.
Cash prizes are awarded to the seven best entries out of all participating countries. Prize categories are:
- The Otsuki Prize – US$1,000 (NZD$1446.61) and a trophy. This overall prize is given to the best entry from either of the age groups.
- Excellent Works – US$500 (NZD$723.30) and a trophy. Two prizes will be given, one to each age group.
- Fine Works – four prizes will be given, two prizes of US$200 (NZD$289.32) to the 14 to 25 year age group, and two prizes of US$300 (NZD$434) to the 26 and above age group.
- Contestants must live in New Zealand
- Open to people who are blind or low vision
- Contestants must write in Braille
- Open to people aged 14 years or over
- Contestants can submit one entry which must be their own work.
- Essays must be between 700 – 1000 words.
- Essay entries must include a cover letter with the following details:
- Full name (as written on birth certificate)
- Your blind and/or low vision service provider or organisation – name, address and email
- Your own contact details including phone and email
- You will also need to provide:
- An electronic photo of your self
- Proof of age (attach your birth certificate or a statement from someone in authority to confirm your age.)
- Entries must be written in Braille using any of the following options:
- Braille note-taking device
- You must use six key Braille to enter
- Essay entries can be submitted as hard copy Braille or as a .brf file.
- An electronic MS Word translation (.doc or .docx file) of your essay is also required
- All countries are limited to sending a maximum of five essays. In the event more than five entries are received, our New Zealand selection committee will judge, and submit the best five entries.
Closing date: Entries must be received no later than 4pm, 22 June
Submit your entries:
Onkyo Brallie Essay Contest
C/- Blind Citizens New Zealand
PO Box 7144