Register your interest by Friday 29 June.
The Royal New Zealand Foundation of the Blind (RNZFB) seeks expressions of interest from those who are thinking of standing in the 2018 RNZFB Board Elections to attend an information day. If sufficient interest is shown, the RNZFB will run an information day or candidates’ college for prospective nominees on Saturday 7 July 2018 in Auckland.
This year, three vacancies for general seats exist on the RNZFB Board. The three incumbent directors whose terms are up for election this year are Rick Hoskin (Board Chair), Peter Hoskin and Carolyn Weston. These Directors may wish to stand again.
Following a survey of those Directors who will remain on the Board after the 2018 election, the areas where the Board’s function could be particularly enhanced further include:
- youth perspectives
- diverse cultural perspective
- digital strategy
- managing risk
- strategic thinking
- business analysis
The programme for the day will include an opportunity for questions throughout the day and cover topics such as:
- Background to the RNZFB’s governance model;
- The role and expectation of boards;
- Being an effective board director;
- An overview of the RNZFB today, with reference to the strategic plan and management structure;
- The RNZFB’s financial base, financial management, property management, fundraising and implications for Board directors;
- Delivering service in a member-directed, client focused, financially sustainable and evidence-driven organisation; and
- Consumerism and consumer organisations.
Board directors are expected to be familiar with member interests and perspectives, and to shoulder fiduciary, legal and financial responsibilities.
If you are thinking of standing for the Board, it is worth asking yourself:
- Am I committed to the broad vision and mission of the RNZFB?
- Can I contribute the time necessary to be an effective Board director – six Friday and Saturday Board meetings, with up to another four Saturdays in the year, plus many hours of preparation time for each meeting?
- Can I place the RNZFB’s purposes and interests and the well-being of members above my own professional and personal interests?
Among the competencies sought in effective Board directors are:
- Understanding the needs of blind people and those with low vision in New Zealand;
- A sound knowledge of the not-for-profit disability sector
- Informed business judgment;
- Being an independent, creative and critical thinker;
- Having high ethical standards;
- Down-to-earth common sense;
- Being a listener and learner;
- Understanding of modern boardroom practices;
- An ability to see the ‘big picture’, stay out of management and operations and work in a team;
- The capability to harmonise strategies with budgets;
- An understanding of the impact of technology and how the organisation is run;
- Demonstrated skills in areas such as governance, audit, finance and risk management, communications, fundraising and advocacy;
- Awareness and understanding of diversity; and
- Above all, a readiness to learn about the business the RNZFB is in.
It is preferable that candidates have access to information via a computer with an internet connection, or an alternative means of dealing with agendas and reports bi-monthly that are typically over 200 pages of print.
If you fit the above criteria, the RNZFB welcomes you to register your interest in the information day with the Board Secretary, Jane Moore, telephone: 09 355 6894 or email: email@example.com by Friday 29 June 2018. Please also send a short summary of your background and what you can contribute to the work of the RNZFB’s Board.
The RNZFB will meet reasonable day travel expenses for candidates.
Additional information about the 2018 RNZFB Board Elections
The RNZFB Board comprises nine elected directors who are elected by governing members of the RNZFB and parents or guardians of children registered with the RNZFB. This year, there are three seats up for election. All three incumbent directors may wish to stand again.
A candidate seeking election must be nominated by two governing or guardian members of the RNZFB. Please note that the three successful candidates in this election will receive a three-year term in office.
Voting papers in the 2018 election will be sent out on 4 October 2018 with the ballot closing on 2 November 2018 at 4:00pm. The results will be announced at the Annual General Meeting, which this year is being held in Nelson on Saturday 10 November 2018.